Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Dreamed there was No War.

Song/Title written by The Eagles.

Since it's break, I've had a lot of time just to sit down and think about things. It's one of my favorite things to do, but life calls on me so much that I don't usually have time to do much thinking about things like this. But I thought I'd understand this a little better if I wrote it down somewhere so I could read it over from time to time. So here it is.

What I was thinking about mostly was how useless war and killing are. Not just the current war, I don't really have an opinion on Iraq. But just war in general and how people lose their lives. It just doesn't make sense to me how killing eachother is solving any problems. It's just creating new and bigger ones. If everyone could sit down in a room together and talk things over peacefully, then we wouldn't have war. But that won't happen, because the people leading most countries today (Including our own) are stupid. And because of that, people DIE. We simply can't understand that. People lose their lives. And even when that fact stares us in the face, we still go all out and send people to die. Look at the Civil War. More Americans lost their lives in that war than every single other war that we've ever been in combined. More than 640,000 people in the space of about 3 years. On an average, that's more than 550 people EVERY DAY dying. Americans killing Americans. And you want to know why? Because the people in the south couldn't agree or come to a compromise with those in the North. Both wanted it their way, and they wouldn't have it any other way.

Hitler did the same thing. He went to war across the entire world because he though the German race was better than other races of people. The man took racism and hated and raised them to something that seemed noble and correct. And people listened. People still listen to those same and similar messages. The Klu Klux Klan is still an organization in America. We even have an American Nazi Party. People that hate others because of their skin color or their religion and consider themselves so much better than others that they feel justified in killing those people. I can't even begin to understand these people. But isn't war just the same exact thing? Killing other people for something that we need and they have? Killing our own people to get those things? It's murder.

I see that people sometimes need to die for their protection, for their families. that's a perfectly understandable thing to do. I wouldn't hesitate to die for my family and my country. I understand that sometimes it needs to be done when people are trying to kill us. But what I'm trying to say is that people need to realize that war shouldn't ever happen. Sometimes it's necessary. But what people have done to eachother throughout history and even now is absolutely horrible.

What is wrong with the world today, when nations casually murder eachother's people? How can that possibly be justified? How can we say that it's right? Truthfully, we can't. We can't say that it's OK to kill people. War is just murder. And yet in this damn country we've got more people worrying more about what clothes their wearing or their stupid video games than worrying about the death of so many people dying every day from war and violence. In America alone we have over 11,000 murders every year. 30 people every day dying because other people take away, steal their lives.

I wish that I could work with my words to put what my feelings are on this into writing. I feel as if I've barely scratched the surface of what there is to say. But I hope that I've left something to think about here, even if it isn't much.

"Rule Number 1 of war is that young men and women die. Rule number 2 is that doctors can't change rule number 1." -Col. Henry Blake, MASH

Merry Christmas, all.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Real Jim Heywood said...

Deep thoughts.

I have so many responses and so little time. But as individuals allow Satan into their lives by giving in to temptations and therefore becoming more like him, they want to exercise control over others and feed their "I, me, me, mine" mentality. Contrarywise, as individuals allow Jesus into their lives and live gospel principles - therefore becoming more like Him, they want to love and lift up their fellow beings (for some reason 1 Corinthians 13 comes to mind) - after all we are all siblings - and as we do become more as He is, we want each other to prosper and to also become more like Him.

Having said all that, as you acknowledged, sometimes good people have to step in and stop bad people from exercising their satanic powers over innocent people. Though sometimes those good intentions are well meaning but poorly implemented, Right can't always just watch as Bad does what it selfishly practices their "I, me, me, mine" mantra.

Deep thinking is always good. Keep it up.

December 19, 2008 at 7:04 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. That almost made me cry and then there was the bad word but I'm sure you knew I was going to say that. I totally agree with you. I hate war it isn't right. It's like what Jim said about Satan and people's "I, me, me, mine" mentality. Love ya'.

Emma

December 19, 2008 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Carrie and Jim said...

I'm always impressed with the impeccable utility of writing styles that you incorporate into your writings.

But this also touched my heart and was particularly meaningful given the season when we should be embracing the message of our Savior...Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards men.

May it touch the hearts of all mankind, even if it is just for a moment.

Mom
Mom

December 21, 2008 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger harwood said...

A few more notable quotations about war:

War does not determine who is right — only who is left. ~Bertrand Russell

It'll be a great day when education gets all the money it wants and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy bombers. ~Anonymous

Sometimes I think it should be a rule of war that you have to see somebody up close and get to know him before you can shoot him. ~M*A*S*H, Colonel Potter

Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come. ~Carl Sandburg

In my opinion, there never was a good war or a bad peace. ~Benjamin Franklin

We have war when at least one of the parties to a conflict wants something more than it wants peace. ~Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in. ~Senator George McGovern

There is nothing that war has ever achieved that we could not better achieve without it. ~Havelock Ellis

Why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people is wrong? ~Holly Near

Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace. ~Charles Sumner

December 27, 2008 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger harwood said...

The Church website (lds.org) says this abour war:

The Lord has said that in the last days there will be “wars and rumors of wars, and the whole earth shall be in commotion, and men’s hearts shall fail them” (D&C 45:26). As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we are a people of peace. We follow the Savior, who is the Prince of Peace. We look forward to His millennial reign, when wars will end and peace will be restored to the earth (see Isaiah 2:4). However, we recognize that in this world, government leaders sometimes send military troops to war to defend their nations and ideals.

Latter-day Saints in the military do not need to feel torn between their country and their God. In the Church, “we believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law” (Articles of Faith 1:12). Military service shows dedication to this principle.

If Latter-day Saints are called upon to go into battle, they can look to the example of Captain Moroni, the great military leader in the Book of Mormon. Although he was a mighty warrior, he “did not delight in bloodshed” (Alma 48:11). He was “firm in the faith of Christ,” and his only reason for fighting was to “defend his people, his rights, and his country, and his religion” (Alma 48:13). If Latter-day Saints must go to war, they should go in a spirit of truth and righteousness, with a desire to do good. They should go with love in their hearts for all God’s children, including those on the opposing side. Then, if they are required to shed another’s blood, their action will not be counted as a sin.

December 28, 2008 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger mikeylikesit said...

Yeah, war sucks. That's the best I can put it in the shortest amount of words possible.

Loved the quotes dad. And the last comment you personally made was truly inspired.

January 8, 2009 at 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home